after changing my password (domain admin) I got a problem with my account lockout.
I had no choice and new account was created for me.
I desperately wanted to find the issue.
Was sure that Netwrix Account Lockout Examiner should help.
I run the utility against my computer and yes it did find scheduled task but nothing obvious. No Task name. It indicates just the SID I guess of the user ma1 (didn't check the SID)
In task scheduler I can not find any manually set task.
Just for fun I changed the password and unlocked account today again.
Looks like there is no problem anymore.
See attached pic plz.
Can you recommend the troubleshooting path relying on the Netwrix info. Or it is just a tip and then ... go break your head...
I understand that even the problem disappeared by itself the task caused the problem under old password if it was there should stay...
I so want to find it.