• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bremic9188

bremic9188

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:54 PM

We've had Password Manager installed on the same server for almost a year now without issue. All of a sudden, we get the error below when trying to reset a password. ONLY when trying to reset a password, everything else seems to be able to contact the domain just fine.

Account Name: rbstest

Date: 8/17/2016 8:44:16 AM

Result: The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the authentication request. Please try again later.

Performed by: NT AUTHORITY\IUSR

Looking at the logs, it looks like it is able to resolve the domain to a domain controller and see users.

#2 jasoncantfell

jasoncantfell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:58 PM

Hey, 

I had this exact problem this week, turns out windows update broke it. After having a look through the KB articles, I'm pretty sure it's this one that borked it:

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/3177108

Specifically, this changes some stuff with the way AD behaves with password changes and resets.......yay!

Jason

#3 bremic9188

bremic9188

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:57 PM

Hey, 

I had this exact problem this week, turns out windows update broke it. After having a look through the KB articles, I'm pretty sure it's this one that borked it:

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/3177108

Specifically, this changes some stuff with the way AD behaves with password changes and resets.......yay!

Jason

You're amazing. Fixed it right away. Rescanned for updates and hid that one so it won't install again.

Thanks!

#4 tedbass

tedbass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

DId you have to uninstall it from the password manager server or from the DC(s)?  or both?

#5 tedbass

tedbass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

I uninstalled it from all of my dcs and also uninstalled it from the password manager server and Im still getting this error.

#6 randscott

randscott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:37 AM

For me this problem was caused by KB3167679 on the backup Netwrix server that contacts the domain controller.  I was able to duplicate the problem repeatedly by installing and uninstalling this patch..

#7 randscott

randscott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 03:30 PM

Update:  After further testing I had to uninstall both KB3177108 and KB316767.  Neither one by itself fixed the problem.

#8 tedbass

tedbass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

Randscott you are great.  Just for clarification the other kb is KB3167679 that needs to be uninstalled.  

#9 andrew.gahlbeck@occompt.co

andrew.gahlbeck@occompt.co

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:17 PM

Removed the two updates above on the Netwrix server and had the password manager working again. Now after another batch of windows updates it is no longer working for password resets. Anyone else have this problem? I am assuming another update broke the authentication. Any help would be appreciated.  

Result: The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the authentication request. Please try again later.

#10 andrew.gahlbeck@occompt.co

andrew.gahlbeck@occompt.co

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 04:33 PM

Responding to my own post above in case anyone else has the problem. I have found that the update below broke the password reset again. Removing it off the Netwrix server will fix the problem. I really wish Netwrix would test this and post it in the forum so we would know before running updates. 

KB3174644

https://technet.micr...ecurity/3174644

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, guests, anonymous users