9 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Ecott

Tim Ecott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Its probably me, but...

I have installed Service Monitor on a w2k3 server here. I have configured and tested the emailing function. This all works.
I set up the configuration to monitor a specific server. I enter the server name (which is in etc/hosts) and it pulls up the list of services running there. OK so far. I configure the software to email me when a specific service stops. I supply details of a valid admin username/password.
Then:
I manually stop the monitored service.
--Nothing happens.--
If i look in the event log of the monitored server, i see logins from service monitor (every 10 mins?) these logins are successful.
'event logs' in service monitor seem to imply that it has marked one service as 'failed'...but i get no email sent to me..
am i missing something?? or what info (config/log) can i supply to assist in fixing??

in the end, i want one w2k3 server to monitor one service in each of two other w2k3 servers. should be easy??

thank you.
any information welcome.

#2 jeffb

jeffb

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Tim,

Everything you need will be found in the Tracing folder in the install directory. For instance if there is an issue sending the notification or some other issue it will be in these logs files. Also I would be curious if you have the box checked to restart this service if this action is performed.

-Jeff

#3 Tim Ecott

Tim Ecott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Tim,

Everything you need will be found in the Tracing folder in the install directory. For instance if there is an issue sending the notification or some other issue it will be in these logs files. Also I would be curious if you have the box checked to restart this service if this action is performed.

-Jeff

#4 Tim Ecott

Tim Ecott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for getting back. I will check the contents of files in the tracing folder.
At present, i have configured netwrix only to send me a mail if the service fails. Netwrix is not currently configured to restart the service (that would be the next step..)
thanks again, i'll take a look and get back if necessary.
tim ecott.

#5 jeffb

jeffb

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:23 PM

Tim,

Sounds good. I would turn on that feature as it is an extra layer of isolation.

-Jeff

#6 Tim Ecott

Tim Ecott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

OK. I have checked the 'Start the Service' box - and i can confirm that if i manually stop the service under test, it is restarted by netwrix. but i definitely do not receive an email. i have used the verify email settings option and do receive a 'test ok' email - so i know the setup is right.
looking in nsm.log i can see messages indicating that netwrix has identified that the service under test has stopped - and that it has re-started the service. however there is no line in this file at that time indicating an email has been sent. i could send you these files - i cant see where i can attach them to this forum item.
if have unticked 'monitor automatic startup services' and 'ignore specified services'. i have ticked 'monitor specific services - and this only contains the service under test on the server under test.
let me know if you want me to email you log files.
thank you.

#7 jeffb

jeffb

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Tim,

Go ahead and send me that NSM log file and screenshots of your configuration. You can upload it to www.netwrix.com/upload and put serviceMonitorForum_JB in the subject.

Also, when you make a change in the GUI (uncheck a box and then recheck it and hit apply) after entering in the account do you get an email shortly after that states:

"NetWrix Services Monitor configuration saved successfully. Please expect the notifications on failed services to be generated and sent to this e-mail address."

#8 Tim Ecott

Tim Ecott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Tim,

Go ahead and send me that NSM log file and screenshots of your configuration. You can upload it to www.netwrix.com/upload and put serviceMonitorForum_JB in the subject.

Also, when you make a change in the GUI (uncheck a box and then recheck it and hit apply) after entering in the account do you get an email shortly after that states:

"NetWrix Services Monitor configuration saved successfully. Please expect the notifications on failed services to be generated and sent to this e-mail address."

#9 Tim Ecott

Tim Ecott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

Ok i will send you as much 'stuff' as i can compile.
i do not get the ' configuration saved successfully' mail you suggest - but i do see this line in the log. to confirm, i do get a 'test ok' mail if i validate the email settings.
thank you.

#10 jeffb

jeffb

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Tim,

Yes I am aware that you have validated the email setting. :)

However, as of yet I have not received any uploads.

-Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, guests, anonymous users