• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mighty Tharg

Mighty Tharg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:12 PM

I use NetWrix Service Monitor (NSM) to monitor and restart a single service on a VMWare server 2008 R2 64bit VM.

This is Axis Camera Station (ACS) which had been prone to "terminating unexpectedly" and not reliably restarting with the standard Windows recovery options. 

I installed NSM on the same VM running the ACS service, and ticked the boxes etc to set it to:

Enable Services Monitor

Server Name: localhost

Monitor specified services: (Server Name: localhost    Service Name: AXIS Camera Station)

Send an alert to: <my email address>

Start the service

SMTP settings - from address entered and function verified.

I then created the appropriate sceduled task and tested it.

Everything worked well for several weeks.

However, today the ACS service had failed again (in fact failed three times, triggering a server reboot.)

I checked NSM to see why it hadn't restarted it.

I found that the NSM settings has been drastically corrupted and the sceduled task was now set to "disabled."

For example the boxes ticked were entirely different, the SMTP server name had changed to just the domain. The recipient address had gone.  It's very unlikely that anyone has made these changes manually.

I have restored the settings to the correct values, and re-enabled and started the scheduled task.  It now seems to be working correctly again.

I discovered from the NSM.log that NSM stopped working on the same day that I updated the ACS server (from v3 to v5.)  However, the service name "AXIS Camera Station" remains the same, and this was one thing that had been retained correctly in the NSM settings.  When I corrected the other settings it all worked as before.  Very odd.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

#2 Mighty Tharg

Mighty Tharg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:54 AM

This has now happened again.

NSM settings again showing:

Where the from and to emails addresses default to the logged in user.  (both wrong)

The email server name stripped - only domain left.

Ticks are exactly wrong - should only be monitor specified services.

I've found that these settings are saved in XML and TXT docs in C:\ProgramData\NetWrix\Services Monitor

I've kept a back-up copy of these, and if they change again, I'll hopefully at least be able to see when from the file date modified tag.

No-one else getting this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, guests, anonymous users