2 replies to this topic

#1 Blood

Blood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hi

Late last week I installed File Server Auditing with Netwrix Auditor free edition. It was installed on a Windows 2008 domain controller which hosts just one share, which is what I was monitoring. I set up the GPO as instructed in the manual and applied it.

The server also hosts DHCP, DNS and DFS.

On Monday morning I arrived at work to discover that the DHCP server was unable to contact the domain for authorisation. The only change that had been made to this domain controller was the installation of the Netwrix software. After uninstalling the software and removing the GPO the DHCP server was able to contact the domain for authorisation and began functioning properly.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Does anyone know why this might have happened, assuming that the software was responsible for this? I have posted full details on Microsoft's forum and the last respondent has suggested asking here for help.

Thanks.

#2 jeffb

jeffb

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:57 PM

Sorry you have run into this issue. However I do not believe that it is possible for installation of this product to cause issues with DNS for a few reasons.

1) It does not create an additional network card as Microsoft stated could be a reason

2) It does not modify any network related settings

3) No Changes to system services are performed

4) System resources or ports that are used by Windows system services are not used

From a logic standpoint the only thing I could plausibly see linking the two events together is the creation of the Group Policy Object to configure auditing but only if somehow this GPO that was created took precedence over another causing required group policy settings to somehow be overwritten or to not apply. I recommend instead of creating a new GPO to just modify an existing GPO that applies to that server to turn on auditing of object access and then before installing the software, do a GP update and see if the issue is reproduced.

-Jeff

#3 Blood

Blood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Hi, Jeff

Many thanks for responding.

To be honest, I don't really think that the Netwrix software was responsible but it's best to ask. The issue is a weird one and your answer has helped to eliminate Netwrix File Server Monitor as a possible cause.

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, guests, anonymous users