• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gdaines

gdaines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

I appreciate that the software is free, but I'd like to suggest one or two improvements I'd love to see.

1. Edit the scheduled task details from the main program configuration screen, or at least include a button that launches the task scheduler. I found the default settings not to be appropriate as I want the monitor to run indefinitely every 5 minutes, and not stop if it's been running for 3 days.

2. Split the response actions out so they don't share the same registry setting to allow for more granular configuration:

• Repeat email alert frequency (every x hours).
  • Delay before attempting to restart services (x minutes), and number of retries (x).
  • Reboot on service failure or only after restart attempts all fail, delay before reboot.

3. In the notification emails split out new services just failed that triggered the notification from services that were already failed and have already been notified but are still down. Even better, include when the failure was first notified and optionally how long that service has been down.

4. Send an email alert when services come back online if they've remained online at least one check cycle. State when it stopped and how long it was stopped before being resolved. In the same notification include services that are still down.

Spiceworks tells me immediately when a service stops, and when the alert clears, but I don't like Spiceworks and wouldn't install it anywhere that isn't already using it. Service Monitor doesn't quite match this, but has the potential to be so much more.

#2 gdaines

gdaines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

To expand and clarify point two a little, I have configured emails to send reminders every hour. However, I would like to configure 3 or 5 service restart attempts spaced apart 1, 3, 5 or 10 minutes. If configured to zero restart attempts, or upon failure to restart the service(s), I'd like to reboot the server. I might want to delay that reboot to the next check cycle (10 minutes by default but I have mine set to check every 5 minutes) just to be sure the service doesn't come back up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, guests, anonymous users