Photo

Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'System.IConvertible'.

password expiration report

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scottb35e0

Scottb35e0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:25 PM

Hello,

I have installed Password Expiration Notifier on a 2012R2 member server.  I set it up and run a successful mail send test.  I also ran the report manually and PEN generates an html file properly with the soon to expire users. The account that I am using to run the schedule task is a domain administrator. 

The issue comes when I try to get PEN to send the automated email via the scheduled task. In the email I receive this text and nothing else.  I tried uninstalling/reinstalling but, that didn't work either.  I tried changing the domain name from the FQDN to the NetBIOS name and that also didn't help.  I'm not sure what else to do.  Pls help.

Failed to obtain password expiration settings for the domain. Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'System.IConvertible'.

--------------
This is an automatically generated message (cdcms130.system.byte[]) from NetWrix Password Expiration Notifier. Please visit www.netwrix.com for more products and updates.

After poking around I saw some people including sections of the pen.log so, I found the error and added it below.  I will be happy to send in more of the PEN.log but, I would rather not post it to an open forum.  

pen.exe Information: 0 : [TID: 1, Time: 11/11/2015 8:45:54 AM] <<<<< Start notifier.
pen.exe Information: 0 : [TID: 1, Time: 11/11/2015 8:45:54 AM] LDAP timeout = 60 seconds.
pen.exe Information: 0 : [TID: 1, Time: 11/11/2015 8:45:54 AM] GetMaxPwdAge/Path: LDAP://local.cdcsupply.com
pen.exe Information: 0 : [TID: 1, Time: 11/11/2015 8:45:54 AM] GetMaxPwdAge/maxPwdAge: System.Byte[] number of items: 1
pen.exe Error: 0 : [TID: 1, Time: 11/11/2015 8:45:54 AM] Error in ExpPathFinder.GetMaxPwdAge: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'System.IConvertible'.
   at System.Convert.ToInt64(Object value)
   at PENLib.CExpPassFinder.GetMaxPwdAge(CTaskInfo tiInternal)
pen.exe Error: 0 : [TID: 1, Time: 11/11/2015 8:45:54 AM] System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to obtain password expiration settings for the domain. Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'System.IConvertible'.
   at PENLib.CExpPassFinder.CollectUsers(CTaskInfo tiInternal, ArrayList& lstUsersPassInternal, ArrayList& lstUsersForAdmPass, Hashtable& htManagers, List`1& usersWithAccountExpires)
pen.exe Error: 0 : [TID: 1, Time: 11/11/2015 8:45:54 AM] Error in Notifier Run(): System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to obtain password expiration settings for the domain. Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'System.IConvertible'.
   at PENLib.CExpPassFinder.CollectUsers(CTaskInfo tiInternal, ArrayList& lstUsersPassInternal, ArrayList& lstUsersForAdmPass, Hashtable& htManagers, List`1& usersWithAccountExpires)
   at #=qmDtNTxuAniVDwf26laCU_pcVUvUU6rVNnHw9nj4nBPg=.#=qeGk38SrsAYdOVT9X2c2g2g==()
pen.exe Information: 0 : [TID: 1, Time: 11/11/2015 8:45:56 AM] End notifier. >>>>>

#2 jeffb

jeffb

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

Scott,

That error isn't too terribly useful unfortunately.  Can you run ldp.exe against local.cdcsupply.com from the server you have our software installed on and then click Connect, put in an IP for a DC to connect to and then hit okay.  Then click bind and enter credentials that Password Expiration Notifier uses.  Then choose the Base DN by using View -> Tree. Scroll up and you should see a line that says MaxPwdAge.  Is there anything here?

-Jeff

#3 Scottb35e0

Scottb35e0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:54 PM

It says maxPwdAge:180:00:00:00;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, guests, anonymous users